“Whee, I’m pregnant!”
This was probably your reaction when you first took that pregnancy test. Over time, the initial excitement dwindled and the swollen feet, crankiness and nervousness crept in. Well, you are not alone. Almost every pregnant woman has gone through the different emotional phases that come with pregnancy.
However, the third trimester can be very overwhelming. This stage requires a lot of preparations for the baby and in most cases, first time mothers are left clueless.
Are you approaching your due date and you don’t know what to do? Relax and take a deep breath. Here is a guide that would help you prepare for the days leading up to your due date.
What Should You Do in the Last Week of Pregnancy? (This is what I will be doing this week :-))
There are certain things you need to do before or during the last week of pregnancy. Here are my tips;
- Get the essential things ready: What exactly does a new-born baby need? Well, you would need to get diapers (lots of it), some baby clothes, wipes and a few other things. Contrary to popular opinion, you do not need more than the basic necessities at first. All you need to do is make sure your bundle of joy has all the bare necessities and you are good to go.
- Make sure you pack your bags: At this stage, your bags need to be packed in preparation for labour. You do not want to be packing a bag while having contractions. Are you unsure about what to pack? Here’s a little tip. Grab a little bag for labour. This bag should contain only a few things such as your cell phone, a few snacks and any other thing you feel you may need. You should also pack another bag for your subsequent stay in the hospital. This second bag should contain clothes, toiletries and everything you and your baby will need.
- Nest: This is highly advisable. The last few weeks before your due date requires a lot of resting. Sleep as much as you can. Eat healthy foods and see a movie if you can. This will help you to relax and prepare mentally for your due date.
- Stay calm and take care of yourself: In the last stage of pregnancy, it is common and highly normal for expecting mothers to panic and feel scared. However, it is important to stay calm. Talk to an expert or friends who have gone through this same phase. At this point, you would need to engage in self-care. It’s okay to be a little selfish. Book that massage session. Eat that bar of chocolate. You deserve it.
- Prepare for reality: Whether you have other children or you’re a first time mother, a reality check is essential during the last few weeks of pregnancy. Having a baby involves a lot of attention, care and pain. Thus, you will need to prepare mentally for it. You may not have enough (nor sleep) time for yourself after childbirth and that is something you’d need to face. I wish somebody told me this in advance when I had my first baby LOL.
Regardless of the stress and exhaustion that comes with having a baby, it is a worthwhile experience. So, relax and stay calm. You’ve got this!